Shopify introduced calculated shipping in the US and Canada in spring 2017. If you're mystified about how to set up calculated shipping on Shopify, keeping reading for step-by-step instructions, we made it easy for you to sell on Shopify with confidence.
Perks of Shopify calculated shipping:
If you haven't taken advantage of calculated rates, now is the time to start.
1. It's free and saves time
Shopify's shipping calculator is a free tool for sellers in the US and Canada. You don't have to calculate shipping prices anymore manually. If you want to start selling on Shopify, but couldn't stomach the hassle of calculating shipping rates manually, you can breathe a sigh of relief. They made it so easy!
US sellers can set up calculated shipping for USPS and DHL. Canada Shopify sellers can add calculated rates from Canada Post.
2. Better user experience and sales conversions
Calculated rates on Shopify greatly improve the user experience at checkout. With Shopify's calculated rates, shoppers know exactly how much shipping costs, reducing buyer uncertainty. That means more sales for you and less abandoned carts.
3. Get the lowest shipping rates
As an online seller, keeping shipping prices dirt cheap attracts customers. With Shopify discounted USPS and Canada Post rates, the prices are less than you'd see at the post office. Discounted USPS shipping prices can entice customers and lead to more sales. For buyers, ever shipping dollar counts!
4. Customers love having options
With Shopify, US sellers can offer a range of shipping methods to meet customers' needs. The power of choice can go a long way toward customer retention so you can get repeat business.
5. Printable shipping labels make life easy
Skip the post office. You can print Shopify shipping labels from home. Your customer will also receive a link to track the package, ensuring a smooth transaction and less "Where's my order?" emails.
6. No more wasted time looking up international shipping costs
For US-based international sellers, it can be time-consuming to get shipping rates for each country. Shopify does all the work for you with calculated rates, eliminating the chance that you make a costly shipping mistake. Now you can ship worldwide worry-free. Plus, your customers will get the cheapest international shipping rates.
Note: If you're outside the US or Canada, or if you want to offer third-party calculated rates from FedEx, UPS, or other Shopify apps, you can upgrade to the Advanced Shopify Plan.
Steps to set up Shopify calculated shipping
It's easy to set up Shopify's calculated shipping rates. Just follow these steps!
- See the Shopify shipping zones guide to prepare your shipping zones. A shipping zone is a group of countries or regions with the same shipping rate. Customers can only checkout if you add their region to your shipping zones.
- Use this link to calculate rates for each zone.
- Login to Shopify.
- On your Shopify store's homepage, click Settings. Then, click shipping.
- Click Manage Rates to add a shipping rate to the shipping profile you want to edit.
- Click Add Rate.
- Select "Use carrier or app to calculate rates."
- Choose the desired shipping service from the drop-down menu.
- Select the shipping methods you want to offer customers at checkout.
- If you charge a handling fee, enter it now.
- Click Save.
Related article: How to Get Free Shipping Supplies from USPS, UPS, FedEx, and DHL