What Are All These 'Amazon Best Sellers Rank' Numbers?
Hundreds of millions of products are listed in over 30 categories on the Amazon marketplace in the United States. And while such figures may seem ridiculous, the great majority of things accessible on Amazon (that have made one or more sales) are given a particular ranking known as the Best Sellers Rank (BSR).
What is Amazon's Best Sellers Rank?
The Amazon Best Sellers Rank (BSR) is a time-based ranking algorithm that Amazon uses for its products. It's based on sales data and updated hourly, so it's always reflective of the current popularity of a product. The BSR is a great way to gauge customer interest in a product and how well it's selling. The lower the BSR, the greater the product's sales. A product ranked #1, for example, sells a lot more than a product ranked #200,000.
However, because many products are sold in several categories on Amazon, an item may have multiple BSRs, especially when Amazon has its own best sellers rating system for practically every primary category and sub-category.
So, a product under Kitchen & Dining may have a BSR of 2,000, but the same product offered in Toys & Games may have a BSR of 20,000.
How is Amazon Best Sellers Rank Calculated?
To calculate the BSR, Amazon looks at three factors:
(1) recent sales velocity,
(2) historical sales, and
(3) relative rarity while also taking into account factors such as listing quality and customer reviews.
This measures how many units of a product are sold in a given time period (typically an hour or a day). The BSR is updated hourly, so a product's sales velocity is always changing.
This looks at a product's sales over a longer period of time, to see if it is a consistent best-seller or if it only had a few good days/weeks.
This compares a product's sales rank to other products in the same category. A product with a low BSR but high sales velocity (compared to other products in its category) is likely to be rarer than a product with a high BSR and low sales velocity.
Factors such as Listing Quality and Customer Reviews
These are both signals of a product's quality. A product with lots of high-quality customer reviews is likely to have a higher BSR than a similar product with no reviews.
The BSR is updated hourly, so a product's sales velocity is always changing.
For example, just because a product sells 10 units in one hour but only one the next does not imply it will instantly drop to a BSR for products that only sell one per hour. Instead, the BSR algorithm will consider both sales velocities.
What Are The Differences Between Amazon Best Sellers Rank And Organic Ranking?
Amazon Best Sellers Rank (BSR) is a metric that Amazon uses to calculate how well-selling a product is. Organic ranking is how high your product appears in Amazon’s search results when someone searches for a specific keyword.
There are a few key differences between Amazon BSR and organic ranking:
1. Your BSR is based on sales, while your organic ranking is based on relevancy to the search term.
2. Your BSR can fluctuate rapidly due to changes in sales volume, while your organic ranking will change more slowly over time as you optimize your listing.
3. You can directly influence your BSR through things like paid ads and coupons, while organic ranking is more difficult to deliberately improve.
Ultimately, both Amazon BSR and organic ranking are important for driving sales on the platform. By focusing on optimizing your listing for relevant keywords, you can improve your organic ranking and give yourself a better chance of appearing in the search results for potential buyers.
What Is Organic Ranking On Amazon?
Organic ranking refers to where a product appears on Amazon's search engine results pages (SERP) for a given keyword. Meanwhile, Amazon's Best Sellers Rank is useful for evaluating a product's monthly sales frequency.
The product's current Amazon Best Sellers Rank is unaffected by its position on Amazon's SERP. The SERP products are arranged by what Amazon calls "Amazon Prime."
Organic ranking on Amazon is determined by a number of factors, including sales volume, conversion rate, reviews, pricing, and keyword relevance.
Sales volume is likely the most important factor in organic ranking on Amazon. The more products you sell, the higher your organic ranking will be.
Conversion rate is also important. This is the percentage of people who buy your product after they click on your listing. The higher your conversion rate, the higher your organic ranking will be.
Reviews are also important for organic ranking on Amazon. The more positive reviews you have, the higher your organic ranking will be.
Pricing is another important factor in organic ranking on Amazon. The lower your price, the higher your organic ranking will be.
Finally, keyword relevance is important for organic ranking on Amazon. The more relevant your keywords are to your product, the higher your organic ranking will be.
Where can I find Amazon Best Sellers Rank for a Product?
Open the Amazon.com product page and scroll down to the "Product Information" section to determine an item's BSR. Here's what you should look at:
As you can see, this product currently has an Amazon Best Sellers Rank of #7 in Patio, Lawn & Garden category.
This indicates that just 7 goods out of hundreds of thousands in Amazon's Patio, Lawn & Garden category sell more than this one.
What is a good Best Sellers Rank on Amazon?
Every category has its own Best Sellers Rank. So, while a "good" Best Sellers Rank in the Patio, Lawn & Garden area may be a "poor" BSR in the Kitchen & Dining category,
"Good" is a subjective term. Use that amount to determine what a "good" BSR would be if your objective is to sell ten things per day or 300 per month. The Jungle Scout Sales Estimator can help you determine what BSR you should strive for.
How Can I Improve My Amazon BSR?
There are a few key things you can do to improve your Amazon BSR:
1. Make sure your product is well-priced and competitive.
2. Make sure your product is well-reviewed and rated.
3. Optimize your product title and listing.
4. Run ads or giveaways to generate interest and traffic.
5. Make sure your product is eligible for Amazon Prime shipping.
6. Use an FBA (fulfilled by Amazon) fulfillment service.
7. Keep your inventory levels topped off.
8. Monitor and respond to customer feedback promptly.
9. Offer incentives for customers to leave reviews.
10. Regularly check your BSR and adjust your pricing accordingly.
11. Avoid getting too many returns, as this will negatively impact your BSR score.
12. If you have a seasonal product, make sure to stock up before peak demand periods.
13. Make use of Amazon's Sponsored Products program to drive traffic to your listing.
14. Use social media platforms to generate interest and traffic for your product.
15. Implement an e-mail marketing campaign to promote your product listing.
16. Create video content that features your product and upload it to YouTube.
17. Optimize your website for search engine ranking so that people can find your product easily online.
18. Use other online marketplaces and directories to list your product and drive traffic back to your Amazon listing.
19. Get involved in relevant online communities and help answer questions about your product or niche.
20. Advertise your product on relevant websites and blogs.
21. Collaborate with other businesses or influencers in your niche to promote each other's products.
What Tools Are Available To Calculate Sales From Amazon Best Sellers Rank?
There are a few different tools available that can help you calculate sales from Amazon Best Sellers Rank. The most popular tool is the Amazon Sales Calculator, which is a free online tool that allows you to input your book's rank and then calculates an estimated sales figure based on that information.
Another popular tool is the BookScanner tool, which is a paid service that provides more detailed sales information.
Finally, you can also use Amazon's own data to estimate sales figures. Amazon releases monthly sales data for books, and you can use this information to calculate an estimated sales figure for your book.
So what do all these Amazon Best Sellers Rank numbers mean for your business? If you’re selling products on Amazon, it’s important to understand where you stand in relation to other sellers and how this impacts your visibility to potential customers. And if you’re looking for help with fulfillment, Simpl can assist you in getting your products up and running on the Amazon platform quickly and easily. Contact us today to learn more about our services and how we can help get your products in front of more buyers.