Inventory restocking is primarily about the mode of refilling products when it matters the most, and at the best place, by the level of demand and the forecasted sales. If executed well, it ensures that no sales opportunity lapses without even overstocking. Noteworthy here is that overstocking can lead to increased carrying values, along with several inventory issues. On the other hand, inventory shrinkage of around 1.4% can happen if things are not managed well.
INVENTORY RESTOCKING FOR LARGE COMPANIES
Upon getting started, users often put orders of random quantities of inventories. This method, though, is widespread but mostly remains limited among the small business groups. It works for those who function from their homes only. Undoubtedly, one needs a superior model upon growing the business. This is when the importance of restocking is felt as no one wants to miss any opportunity of sales.
WHAT IS EFFECTIVE INVENTORY RESTOCKING?
Restocking is not just about ordering more significant amounts of products from one supplier and simply shelving the same. This demands effective allocation of inventory, at the same time keeping sights over the demands. Above all, there needs to be clarity regarding the peak hours of production. There needs to be a thorough idea about the duration it takes to receive and keeping the inventories aimed at retail fulfillment.
ISSUES FROM NOT FOLLOWING EFFECTIVE INVENTORY RESTOCKING
- Inventory restocking is crucial with business level growing. Its importance can be realized if someone gets it well on how weak inventory restocking strategy can affect the business from the core. Specifically, the company can get involved in the following ways.
- Ineffective inventory restocking can lead to the company losing its valuable sales. On most occasions, the company ends up expending extraneous amounts of logistic amounts.
- Upon failing in executing the stock control methods and thus enhancing inventory accuracy, a whole range of issues regarding inventory management can appear, affecting the restocking of inventory immensely.
- It can lead to a growing cost of inventory management and more hours. It can increase the cost of warehousing significantly.
MAKING THE MOST OF INVENTORY DATA
It is essential to have crucial data at the fingertip. The best part about the inventory data is that it helps in analyzing past trends. At the same time, it helps get clarity about the predictions regarding future demands. Accordingly, you can adjust the inventory levels.
For example, those who face the issues of regularly running out of stock, specifically during the holiday, can always make use of data of the past quarter to figure out the amount of inventory they need to possess for the holiday season coming next, at the same time factoring in the constant growth rate. One can use the inventory data for additional initiates, which includes reporting inventories or deciding about the timing of the following promotions.
BEING CONSISTENT WITH INVENTORY AUDITS
Inventory audit is doing cross-checks of the inventory records and financial records against the inventory levels to attain inventory visibility of subsequent levels. Conducting audits of inventory lets the businessman figure out the ineffectiveness or the downfall of stock. It helps in obtaining clarity regarding profit calculation, which can easily streamline the process of reordering. You can achieve this simply upon keeping records of physical stocks to check whether the amount desired is there.
HOW TO EFFECTIVELY DO RESTOCKING INVENTORY
A weak restocking strategy can affect retailers immensely. Upon failing to restock the inventory correctly, the threats of not attaining the scope of the sale grow, affecting the loyalty of customers. In this context, provided below are some of the valuable tips that can be considered to optimize inventory restocking. This can lower the risk and meet greater demands.
- Upon expanding the supply chain through numerous warehouse locations and various sales channels, the challenge of restocking is obvious to grow in accordance. In modern times, online brands are using high-end inventory tools for keeping things streamlined regarding inventories, modes of shipments, and handling orders.
- One must automate the process of tracking the inventory to keep the scope of errors caused by humans. In this regard, the use of inventory management tools should be emphasized that can lower manual efforts. Naturally, the business manages to save a significant amount of time.
- Inventory restocking can be streamlined incredibly on all levels associated with the supply chain. Specifically, one must have clarity regarding the kind of stocks to be made, and when it has to be made.
Inventory stocking is indeed essential. Most people enquire about the frequency of inventory restocking and the amount of the same. However, this depends upon several aspects, ranging from available space and the expenses, among others. All in all, maintaining inventory restocking can provide clarity about many factors apart from addressing sales demands.
Next article: How to Calculate Inventory Turnover?