Freight Forwarding refers to the planning of the movement of commodities across international borders. It helps to obtain products from India, China, or other manufacturing countries. Getting products directly from the manufacturers allows the eCommerce sellers to cut the cost of everyday items. Freight forwarders arrange the shippers' entire process and act as a middleman between the shipper and the transporter. They are also responsible for negotiating the best price and choosing the fastest routes.
WHAT IS THE PROCESS OF FREIGHT FORWARDING?
The process of freight forwarding is as follows-
1. Search for a good freight forwarder who is having industry and country experience.
2. Ship your products and goods to the freight forwarder's warehouse. This is also known as export haulage, and it can be done by yourself or use a logistics provider.
3. As soon as they receive your goods, they will complete some documentation process for customs clearance.
4. The freight forwarders physically transport the goods using a chain of carriers. Some freight forwarders may also provide updates to you at each stage of the journey.
5. Finally, when your goods arrive, the freight forwarder provides many documentation and carrier bills to be filled.
6. After completing all the documentation process, the shipment is then sent to its final destination. This is the last stage of the freight forwarding process and is commonly known as import haulage.
SERVICES PROVIDED BY FREIGHT FORWARDERS
There are many services that a freight forwarder can provide for your company. These include:
- Door to door services
- On-demand reporting
- Purchase order tracking
- Clearance at customs
- Inventory management
- Documentation (required for international import and export)
THINGS TO LOOK FOR WHILE CHOOSING A FREIGHT FORWARDER
To find the right freight forwarder for your company, you must look for the listed things.
Industry Experience- If some issues occur while shipping your goods, a freight forwarder must be experienced enough to deal with such problems efficiently or know how to deal with such issues.
A vast network of agents- International shipping requires a fixed amount of logistics. Therefore, a good freight forwarder must have an extensive network of global agents.
Provides a massive range of services- While choosing a good freight forwarder, you must look for the services they are offering. Confirm that they are providing the services you require. This helps in smooth international shipments.
Related article: Land, Air, or Sea: Picking the best freight option
Must possess credentials and certifications- Certifications and credentials will let you know if they have specialized training to handle your shipments. This is a good indication that proves that they have the required experience for an efficient shipment.
Provides satisfactory customer service- Outstanding customer service will allow you to have direct access to the agent responsible for managing your cargo. Hence, customer services are essential in freight forwarding.
Next article: Free Shipping: 5 Tips to Make It Work